Monday, May 26, 2008

Diesel's comedy routine

Last Monday night was the last class of an 8-week agility session where I brought both Diesel and Marvin – I ran Diesel in the first class, advanced beginners, and Marvin in our ongoing intermediate class following.

Since it was Diesel's last class, Mark came along armed with the camera. Diesel and I had four runs, this one – our last – was by far the most comedic and entertaining:



We can't be sure, but we think the combination of beagle nose and food-memory worked in tandem, causing the back track over the A-frame. Apparently Melissa, who's standing behind the A-frame, had slipped Diesel a piece of hot dog earlier and, well, a beagle's food-memory will rival the memory of an elephant any day.

We all laughed and it was clear to me why I love agility class!

These last few weeks I'd been bringing both pups to class, Marvin had been a needy child during Diesel's class. I tried letting him run around in the fenced area outside but he barked and let it be known he wanted to be inside. I put him in his soft crate near my chair with one Kong but once he finished it, he chirped and scratched at his crate even though I had it covered. I finally figured out I'd have a quiet and content Marvin if I brought three Kongs stuffed with
hot dog and cheese pieces mixed in non-fat plain yogurt and then frozen. It took him 20 minutes to get through one frozen Kong and the three were perfect timing for Diesel's hour-long class. Diesel, bless his little dog heart, was an angel during Marvin's class following. Granted, he was probably tired, but he was happy to curl up in a tight, quiet dog ball in the crate. No Kongs necessary – poor boy.

Marvin and I didn't have our best night but it was still fun. He found a really yummy treat on the floor by the A-frame on our first run, so he scouted the floor more that night than he had in many weeks. (Of course! We had the camera there!) This was the best of our three runs:



I guided him more than necessary through the weaves because that's the area he found his distracting treat and it took forever to get him back the first time. The power of the snout.

One sly dog.

The patient one waiting in the wings.

...

This next 8-week session will be interesting indeed. I'll most likely be swapping between Diesel and Marvin week-to-week for intermediate. And for beginners? It looks like I'll be assisting the instructor! More to come ...

9 Comments:

Blogger Patience-please said...

I couldn't see Marvin's video, (it told me to try again later) but Diesel's was fantastic!!! You guys are really doing well. I think he just thougt tht person shouldn't be hiding in that hidey hole and he wanted to make SURE everyone knew she was there!!! Good job!!!

May 26, 2008 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger Amber-Mae said...

I think both of those dogs did well! Diesel must have smelled something deeleecious somewhere around that A-Frame. Hehehe! Beagles always can't control their nose especially when it comes to food I think. Kekeke! Keep up the good work.

Butt shakes,
Solid Gold Dancer

May 26, 2008 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

Well done! Congrats to both of you! We loved the videos!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

May 27, 2008 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Kate and Rob said...

priceless! absolutely priceless!

you're doing a brilliant job with your handsignals and it's adorable how they zone in on what you're asking.


cheers,

*k

May 27, 2008 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Xsara and Tani said...

Hehe, I totally understand you! when I work with another dog, Xsara gets crazy - she acts like the most tortured dog in the world. She also barks when I go course-viewing, but not as bad as when I work with Sena or Kate. I really hope she will get used to it

May 29, 2008 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger Kess And Her Mama said...

Poor Marvin, He just wants to join in the fun. I know the whine... Well done Diesel! Power to the beagle nose! Yay!

May 29, 2008 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

YEA...Go Team!! Great to see everyone!!!!!

May 30, 2008 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger JAZZ AND DIXIE said...

Hi
Love the videos! From the videos and this post it looks like everyone is really enjoying the agility classes. Do you have a treat in your hand when directing Diesel and Marvin around the course? And what do you use?
Yes those Beagle snouts certainly are powerful as is the treat memory! Someone in the park only has to give Jazz and Dixie a snack once and everytime we walk in the same area they will look for that person or if they find them somewhere else they will immediately recognise them and drag me off to beg for more treats!
Jazz and Dixie's Mum

May 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger Sugar the Beagle said...

My human is very thankful for the comment that you had left for us when Posh and I have problems getting along.

We still aren't getting along fine, but my human's working hard towards that (with the help of your comments of course).

She truly understands how difficult it was to handle two dogs alone, especially during training time.

Sweet Licks,
Sugar

June 10, 2008 at 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home