Sunday, March 16, 2008

I'm glad it's not today

Last weekend I found out from a fellow dog-walking neighbor that my neighbor from one house down lost her pup of 11 years suddenly to lymphoma a few days earlier. I had a busy week at work but Beth was always on my mind. As the boys and I walked down the alley and past her house on our morning walks, I thought how strange it must be for Beth not to have Bella to take for morning walks anymore.

Finally this weekend I had a chance to get her a card and a picture frame to put a special photo of Bella in. I took it over tonight. Beth opened the door in tears and I knew she was having a bad Bella day. She was a little surprised that I knew as I hadn't seen her since, but seemed glad to have a dog-loving neighbor to talk to.


She reminised and I listened. She told me about Bella's final days and I felt my heart break. She told me how she misses walking the neighborhood and how she would like to do it again but feels it would be too hard right now. She told me how, as the snow is melting, even seeing Bella's poo
reappear from earlier in the year is a difficult reminder.

I spent many many years of my adult life not knowing what it's like to love a dog and how deeply connected you become. Today I was glad I now know and understand the depth of emotion. I felt I could really be there for Beth when she needed a friend.


As I walked my short walk home, I took a good look at my surroundings. The neighborhood I see every single day, the houses I pass, the smells, the neighbors' barking Labs ... I took it all in and cherished it. Today is still normal for me. I have the beagles and tomorrow we will take our morning walk.


There will be a day when I go through what Beth is going through and I dread it. I'm just glad it's not today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Eddie N Peaches said...

We are sorry for your neighbor friend's loss. How very sad. How good of you to be there for her.
Eddie, Peaches & Bella

March 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Patience-please said...

We will send our miracle whippet best healing wishes to Bella's human. I bet your visit meant the world to her. Maybe your next visit could involve a little beagle therapy???

Happy St. Pat's day and everyday!

wags from the whippets and their servant

March 17, 2008 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

You're a very nice neighbor and a very good friend! Bless you!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

March 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Amber-Mae said...

Oh my, what a sad story. Very sorry to hear about Beth's dog. These things happen all the time & time will come one day for us too but let's not think about it now as we have about 10, maybe 14 years more to go. Let's enjoy every moment of being with our hoomans & all the time we spend together everyday.

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

March 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Southbaygirl said...

We are sorry for your neighbors sad loss! My mom feels the same way-please send our best wishes to your neighbor!

Velcro, Kodak, Winton, 3 Perf and mom

March 19, 2008 at 10:58 PM  
Blogger Truman Tales said...

The first time I read this entry almost two months ago, I couldn't read it without my eyes welling in tears. Today I read at it again and thought, what a touching gesture you did for your neighbor, and I'm sure she was grateful for someone to listen to her Bella memories. It really is amazing the bond we have with our animals, and it just reminds me that each day is one to treasure.

May 9, 2008 at 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home