Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dog dissing in the kitchen

Happy Valentine's Day!

I woke up to find this as the wallpaper on my iPod Touch this morning!

That husband of mine was busy after I went to bed last night. This is my favorite kind of surprise and he's so good at catching me off guard with them. On our first Valentine's Day after he moved to the U.S., I went out to my car to go to work and he had filled the entire front seat and dashboard with little red and pink heart-shaped stickers with loving Valentine sayings on them. I was so taken aback by the sweetness of it all I cried! I love you BF!


...

On another note, this morning I scurried off to our kitchen at work because of a rumor going around that a vendor brought in a giant cheesecake.

As I was filling my plate, I realized my presence started a dog conversation, beginning with Uno's win. That was all fine and good but then one work friend disappointedly mentioned that her husband is lobbying to get a dog.

The room was filled with gasps of horror. "A dog! You can't do that!" "Too much work, you'll be stuck home forever!" "All the poop to pick up, forget it!" "Way too high maintenance, you'd be better off with a cat."

On and on they went.


Guess what. I used to feel the same way. Exactly. And not even that long ago. But then suddenly some wires in my brain crossed or the planets aligned or something ... and I got my priorities straight.


So I proudly stood tall and said out loud to my dog-dissing friends, "My dogs are my life! They are my whole world (and my hubby too, of course, but that's understood). I take them to agility classes twice a week and I might be assisting an obedience class an additional night a week. They are my social life and that's the way I like it. My life is ALL DOG!"


After I stopped talking I stood there, taking in their semi-bewildered facial expressions. And then I said something to the effect that I'm sure that seems crazy to some people but that's just the way it is with me.

I offer no apologies. I'm sure you understand.

6 Comments:

Blogger Patience-please said...

YOU GO!!!!!

big huge wags from the whippets

February 14, 2008 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Truman Tales said...

Good for you!! And I totally understand. People at my work (and sometimes my friends and family) like to tease me that I love Truman like a child, but it doesn't bother me. If people see pets as a burden, they probably shouldn't get one at all. I could go on and on, but thank goodness there are people out there like you, kind spirits who took in two very special beagle boys. They may have had a rough start, but you made them realize their full potential. And what fulfilling lives you all have now!

Happy Valentine's Day from Truman, Angela & John in Kansas City!

February 14, 2008 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Southbaygirl said...

Happy valentines Day!!!

velcro

February 14, 2008 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger JAZZ AND DIXIE said...

I would have to agree with you 100% - my girls are my life too. I can't finish work soon enough to be with them. Sure its hard work sometimes but its all worth it in the end. I have always had dogs and that was a big thing missing from my life when I moved to Tokyo until I got Jazz and then Dixie.
Happy Valentine's Day
Jazz and Dixie's Mum

February 15, 2008 at 3:14 AM  
Blogger Amber-Mae said...

I totally agree with you too! My mommy says we make her life whole! And infact, she prefers dogs to humans. Dogs bad behavior can be corrected but hoomans, can't & that's why she prefers dogs anytime! Hoomans are infact the worst kinds in this world (ofcourse not all) Her friends used to talk bad about me saying that I'm big, smelly, full of saliva & that I'm stoopid & useless, my mommy always defends me & tell them that they're wrong. Some people are just not into dogs, we can't do anything to make them like dogs. They're just that way! She spends much much more time with us then her best friends. Her friends have no interests in dogs so, why would she wanna hang out with them? They don't share the same interests as her...My mommy loves us sooo much & we love her too!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

February 15, 2008 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger erin said...

No apologies necessary. I agree with you totally.

I have a shirt from the WI Humane Society that says "It's all about the dog." It's what I live by.

A few months after getting Keeley, my mom said something to me like "Now that we're officially dog-people, we should get..."
I looked at her like she was crazy and said "We're not dog people!"
She just rolled her eyes at me and said "YES, WE ARE." And she was right! I just hadn't realized it yet.
Who would have thought that I'd suddenly become a dog person after being being scared of dogs for 29 years? But it happened! Keeley is my life.

February 19, 2008 at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home