Saturday, February 16, 2008

Toothbrush attack

For the last four months I've made it a goal to brush two sets of beagle teeth every morning. Yes, every morning. It used to be a once-in-a-while thing until I had a change of heart after doing some reading.

From my research into raw feeding, I found out that dry kibble doesn't have the teeth-cleaning properties clever advertising has always told us. In fact, quite the opposite. Once I started imagining eating dry crackers and then not brushing my own teeth for two weeks, it seemed entirely disgusting to me to not brush the beagles' teeth at least once a day, especially since we were back to feeding all dry kibble again (Diesel had a reaction to his raw chicken diet ... we'll try another raw option in the future).

So toothbrushing is a morning ritual for the three of us. Marvin finishes his breakfast first so he's the first to sit in front of me waiting his turn (yes, he does wait for me!). Once the brushing starts he makes a game of trying to kill the toothbrush, but with two hands I pretty much know where in his mouth to stick my fingers so the toothbrush wins the game.

By the time I finish with Marvin, Diesel is waiting. He's such a patient and still little dog fellow. It's a pleasure.
...

This morning I had the camera in one hand as I was brushing teeth. The toothbrush didn't stand a chance!

First Marvin, happy that, today at last, he can chew the toothbrush!



Dental mayhem.

Then Diesel realizes chewing the toothbrush isn't such a bad idea.


Tug-of-war is more like it!


(Look at Marvin in the background ... what a face :)


...
The toothpaste was gone anyway and the new tube came with a new brush. It was the perfect day to have some fun!

3 Comments:

Blogger bennE999 said...

I've been brushing my beagle Benny's teeth for a year and a half. He has a heart murmur, and when he had his last dental I was very worried because of the anesthesia. He came through it just fine, but the vet said if I brush his teeth daily he probably will never need another dental. I use the same Petrodex toothpaste as Marvin and Diesel use, and Benny is so used to the routine he doesn't even chew the brush (much) anymore!

February 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Truman Tales said...

Love these pictures! I just want to lean into my monitor and kiss those olive snouts! :)

February 18, 2008 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Johann The Dog said...

Ha! What great pics! Mum tries to brush mine and Gracie's everyday, but it usually ends up everyother day.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, we'll let you know all about our session with Silvia, hope you do the same! And have loads of fun!

Woofs, Johann

February 19, 2008 at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home