Monday, February 25, 2008

Fasting

A 12 hour fast is not a beagle's idea of a good time.

This morning at 8:15 I took Diesel to the vet to have his teeth cleaned.


Shortly after we adopted him in January of 2006, Mark and I thought we would like to have his teeth professionally cleaned. Although the foster group we adopted him from thought he was close to a year old because of his playful, puppy-like demeanor, our vet pegged him at closer to 2 or may 2-1/2 when we adopted him. I tended to agree because since he's been with us he's had an amount of brown-yellow tartar present on his back teeth. So today we're going to "start from scratch" and can
hopefully forfeit any more procedures like this if we keep up with the daily brushing.


Back to the fasting.

As of 8:00 last night Diesel was not to have any more food in preparation for the anesthesia. I gave both Marvin and Diesel their Greenies early but that didn't keep Diesel from giving us the evil eye for not giving him another Greenie at the time he normally has one – after their final walk for the night. He eventually curled up in his crate defeated and probably holding a grudge.


This morning Diesel woke up shortly after I did and went right to the counter where the Greenies are kept. Drat! He didn't forget.


Thankfully getting ready for our morning walk distracted him and off he, Marvin, and I went. As soon as we got home I went into the bathroom for a shower. Typically I give them breakfast and brush teeth before my shower but this morning I needed to hide. The pleading, questioning eyes were killing me. I'm sure both pups were quite certain I was losing my mind by forgetting their breakfast altogether.

The rest of the time I was getting ready for work Marvin sat in the front window and Diesel watched me from his crate, eyes never leaving me. If I was out of his sight he would put himself in my general direction, in beagle-rug fashion, just in case his presence would jog my memory that I had yet to feed them.

I'm quite sure he was starting to question my integrity and/or my qualifications.

Time for us to leave and he full-body wagged in his typical style when I reached for the leash. Happy little guy in the car. Immediately suspicious when we pulled up in front of the vet's office. Shaking like a leaf in the waiting room. Not fun for a beagle. Not fun for a dog mum.

I'll be glad when 4PM rolls around so I can take him home to the comfort of his familiar routine.


*It's only 10AM and the vet just called saying everything went very well and Diesel's resting now. Great news!*

3 Comments:

Blogger Amber-Mae said...

Oh poor Diesel...I don't think I can even take it even one day. I'm sure after his "appointment" is done, he'll be able to eat right?

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

February 26, 2008 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Patience-please said...

Oh I'm glad he's out and done! He will be so glad to see you and with his new sparkly smile.

all the best-
Patience

February 26, 2008 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger JAZZ AND DIXIE said...

That must be the hardest task a beagle could face - not eating for twelve hours!! So how did the teeth cleaning go? Dixie has managed to keep her pearly white by chewing gum after every meal but Jazz needs a good clean I think.
Jazz and Dixie's Mum

February 27, 2008 at 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home