Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hazard of being a beagle

Diesel has a sore French moustache. You know that cute little dark bit just under his nose on his upper lip? That's his French moustache, and typically it's black and covered in peach-like fuzz. He wore it out on our Tuesday morning walk though and now it's hairless and sore.

It was strange really. We were just a little way into our walk when we stopped to investigate some brush on the side of the road. The beagles sniffed and sniffed some more – and then there was a shift in Diesel. We carried on, but he had his nose to the ground persistantly sniffing in a very direct path. He didn't stop and start, he didn't swerve from side to side – he kept a steady, straight-as-an-arrow path ahead sniffing the ground at the pace we were walking. Even stranger was the fact that he kept doing it once we were back in the house. The kitchen floor, the hallway floor, my shoes. I was puzzled.

He must have been following the trail of a creature that had taken our path before. I suspect a coyote, as we had actually seen one in the neighborhood in the last two weeks. But I won't know for sure because Diesel didn't tell me.

What do you mean … "sore French moustache"?

Hey, is that a fettucini alfredo noodle you have in your hand?

Can I have the noodle please? Why don't you just give it to me?

NOOOOODLE!!!!!!



Diesel tried every trick in the book to get that noodle … everything from sit-ups, to left and right circles to targeting the camera. After I got my photos he had the noodle. And then another.

9 Comments:

Blogger River said...

I had a brother who used to snort 'n howl for hours. Mom left him in the yard and three hours later she finally had enough and brought him in. He had a sore nose but would have kept going. Definitely a beagle trait but some more than others. Glad he got the noodle!

love & wags,
River

August 1, 2008 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger Kate and Rob said...

very handsome indeed!

a classic!

he just needs a tux now.

August 1, 2008 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger Maya and Kena said...

Aww... Diesel looks so handsome with his mustache!

But we hope it isn't sore or anything...

Wags and licks,
Maya and Kena

August 1, 2008 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Dandy Duke said...

What a sweet mustache, Diesel! We'd do anything our mom wanted us to do for noodles too!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

August 1, 2008 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger Ice Pony Girl said...

Way too cute! Come join our Beagle List. We have members from all over the world.

Here's a link
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/happytails

My beagle Molly is 8 yrs old. Hope to see ya on the list.

Raven

August 1, 2008 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger GusTheBeagle (and Oliver) said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 2, 2008 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger GusTheBeagle (and Oliver) said...

Oh, Diesel. I hope your mustache heals soon. I can't even imagine what a painful snout would do to my drive to sniff! My mom had to run her very fastest to stop me from burning my nose on the grill once and I got lucky - no burn. If it makes you feel any better, I do think you look quite distinguished with your mustache!

Arooo,
Gus

August 2, 2008 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Truman Tales said...

The same thing happened to Truman last year, only it was the at the bridge of his nose. He sometimes scratches his nose with his paw so he might've scraped it. But don't worry, Diesel, the fuzz grows back within a few weeks!

August 4, 2008 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Patience-please said...

OUCH! But no doubt well worth the pain (like squirrellie battle wounds to us!)

wags from the whippets

August 7, 2008 at 7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home