Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dead squirrel eater and wet nose

Quick (gross) Marvin story:
Yesterday the boys and I started out on our morning walk when I saw our neighbor with the fenced yard outside. Since I had taken the day off of work I stopped and asked her if I could release the beagles in her yard to run around with her two black labs. There really wasn't much running around – more snouting the new turf and eating salad (grass).


I lost sight of Marvin for a good couple of minutes so we started to look around for him. There is a section of the yard that's overgrown with bushes and weeds and that's where we heard his jingling tags. No amount of calling would get him out so I ducked into the brush, dodging mosquitos as I went, to discover him chomping away on something dead. When we made eye contact he realized I meant business as I called him and he slowly made his way out to the yard still holding the dead thing. It was a decomposing squirrel – and it had to go. I carefully pried his jaw open without touching his prize and to the ground it fell. I had my neighbor hold his collar as I took a garbage bag and picked it up dog poop-style. Ewww eww ewww. As he was rather obsessed with the overgrown area after that and the dogs weren't really interacting with one another anyway, we left and took our walk.


Once home, Marvin scurried off to hide under their window seat. When he started to make a regurgitating sound I shuffled him outside in a hurry. He sat out on his tie out, not doing a thing, so I let him be for a bit. Ten minutes later I visited my boy and there he was, head hidden under our outdoor fireplace guarding his fine pile of regurgitated squirrel. Ugh. I was actually thrilled that he had done that and that the pile was rather huge because I felt comfortable letting him back in the house again and even more comfortable knowing that was no longer in his little body. So I got to pick up dead squirrel a second time in the same day. Dogs and their vices.


Quick (sweet) Diesel story:

Now that the weather has warmed up I'm wearing shorts on our dog walks. I've noticed since working with the boys to walk "close" that Diesel walks very close. He tucks himself so tightly to my left leg that I feel his body brush the side of my leg, and sometimes my heel bumps him and I feel bad. But the best part is, while wearing shorts, I also feel his lovely wet nose touch the side of my bare leg. He was walking especially nicely by my side at lunch today and the wet nose touched my leg many times. I smiled the entire walk.

12 Comments:

Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

ewwwwwwwwwwww - gross, Marvin! That's icky!
We love the story about Diesel! Lots of times when mom and I are walking together I look up at her and smile! It's pretty special too!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

June 24, 2008 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Kess And Her Mama said...

Ooh...Yummy. It's a beagle thing. I love picking up stuff when walking (read The power of the beagle nose) but Marvin is the champ!

June 24, 2008 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger River said...

I never ate a squirrel. Does it taste like chicken? I smile like Elvis (left side wrinkles up) at my mom. I think moms really like that.

love & wags,
River

June 24, 2008 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger Amber-Mae said...

Eeeeeewwwwwwwww Marvin! How could you...eat that dead rotting thingy??? I don't walk like that like Diesel. I don't really like to stick too close. Too hot for me.

Butt wiggles,
Solid Gold Dancer

June 25, 2008 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi nice to meet you! Booker found a dead raccoon in the park next to our condo building yesterday. All that was left was fur (it looked like tangled spanish moss at first) and some fine ivory bones. He sniffed it gingerly but didn't touch it. Thank goodness! How gross gross gross. I always wear shorts on our dog park walks - Booker will come up from behind me and brush against my leg, linger a moment and then charge ahead. It does feel nice - kind of like he is "checking in."

June 25, 2008 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Truman Tales said...

Oh, I cringed and laughed as I read this story. Beagles get themselves in the most exasperating situations! Glad Marvin got all that yucky squirrel out of his system. Ah, then there's Diesel, your peaceful hound. I love the dichotomy between the two!

June 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Kate and Rob said...

well...that story was very well written..it sure makes me feel like becoming a vegetarian :)

Actually it makes me feel normal that my guys too indulge from time to time on such delicacies.

It gave me flashbacks of our walk along the Mamquam in the winter finding out the hard way...with Daizy slurping up some dead, decomposed salmon gunk that we were walking along a fresh salmon spawning graveyard.

If you ever make it out to Squamish in Dec/Jan....Daizy can show Marvin where the best salmon buffet in town is :P

June 26, 2008 at 7:06 PM  
Blogger Kate and Rob said...

You and Diesel are ambassadors to all beagle owners out there! Awesome walking work!

June 26, 2008 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Patience-please said...

That's one of the only things I don't miss about living on the farm: regurgisquirrel !

I LOVE the image of the nose dabs on your leg as you walk..Delightful!

smiles-
the whippets' servant

June 28, 2008 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger erin said...

Well at least you discovered what he was doing in time and had the presence of mind to use a poop bag to pick it up. I can't tell you how many times I've had to remove something alive, dead, or decomposing from Keeley's mouth. And never once did I have a poop bag handy! -Erin

July 1, 2008 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Maya and Kena said...

A Squirrel? We've never even touched one!! Lucky!
But before, when we had mice under our house and our humans put poison under the house, the mice came outside to our yard and died there, and then Maya would grab them and play around. Then one time, she brought a dead one in the house. BOL! Our humans screamed!
Aw.. the little story about Diesel is so cute! Our humans WISH we were like that. They never take us fur walks. We take THEM fur walks.

Wags and licks,
Maya and Kena

July 2, 2008 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger JAZZ AND DIXIE said...

Oh that is yucky! Lucky though that he threw it all up. Ahh, Beagles and their noses and appitites for stinky things! Jazz has gobbled up many a smelly thing on our walks and Dixie does her ear sliding on some pretty gross things too.
Dixie is like Diesel - always sticking close to my leg - I call her Velcro Puppy.
Lix
J&D

July 4, 2008 at 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home