Thursday, July 10, 2008

In a single bound

Marvin is always up to something. What is his newest exploit?

He's gotten himself expelled from doggy day care.
Yes, expelled!

While we were away in Door County, Diesel and Marvin spent a day and a half at day care while Wendy was at work. When I saw her name on my cell phone's caller ID Friday afternoon, I knew it would be a beagle update since she would have just picked them up.


"We have a situation." (Insert two-second pause which felt like five minutes.) "Don't worry, everyone's okay," Wendy said. (Insert huge sigh of relief.)

"The day care people don't think Marvin should come back anymore."


Gulp.

The first thing that crossed my mind was that he played too roughly with the other dogs. He is a rough and tumble kind of animal ...


But that wasn't it at all.


Marvin, our vertical dog, figured out how to jump the four-foot gates! He jumped the gate to the enclosure that he and Diesel were in and then proceeded to jump the gate that separated the lobby from the front entrance. If someone would have entered the front door he could have run away ... and that is where the problem lies.
They don't feel that they can ensure his safety if he can so unexpectedly hop the gates, therefore Marvin and the day care are no longer a good match.

When Wendy told me that was the reason I just had to laugh, although I was a little shocked. So entirely Marvin!


The owner of this daycare is very nice – in fact I haven't spoken to her about this yet and I would like to hear her take on the situation. What I especially liked about this place was that you could check on your pups via web cam. One day, while at work, I captured this screen grab.


Note the speckled beagle practicing his vertical techniques at the back gate. It was only a matter of time.

Dramatic pixelized close-up of offending speckled beagle.

In all honesty we don't use doggy day care on a regular basis anyway so we weren't stuck in a tight situation. The good news is there is a brand new day care opening up next Monday right between my work and home. Actually, it's an overnight pet service that is expanding to day care and the owners of this place are very nice as well. When I tour their shiny new facility next week I will be sure to keep them well informed of Marvin's talents. Hopefully they are equipped to handle a pogo stick type of dog!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kess And Her Mama said...

Marvin is so typical beagle! Kess has actually scaled a 6 foot fence in our garden a few times. We've had to raise it with a doggie fence!

July 10, 2008 at 10:01 PM  
Blogger River said...

Up up & away!! (sound of the 5th Dimension in the background). My mom has a 6 ft fence with 1/2 ft dug into the ground. Most of the pack are too old to try for it but when a tree fell near the fence Chocolate Mousse used the trunk to launch himself at the fence and he escaped! He only went to the mailbox and we're at the end of a dead end rd. He trotted back. He was not allowed to go out unsupervised until the tree was moved. Yes, Marvin is SUCH a beagle! 4 ft is no challenge!!

love & wags,
River

July 10, 2008 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

What a great picture this would be in the paw-limpics hurdle category! Marvin is amazing!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

July 11, 2008 at 4:11 AM  
Blogger Kate and Rob said...

that has got to be the funniest story I've ever heard!

I absolutely can not stop giggling every time I think of it.

WAY TO GO MARVIN!!!!!

cheers,

*k

July 11, 2008 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger Truman Tales said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad he didn't get out. Never a dull moment with your boy, Marvin!

July 15, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home