Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A woolly bear blessing

Last night I couldn't fall asleep. This doesn't happen often at all, and when it does I have little patience. Things have been going so well for what feels like a long time. But last night a skeleton came out of the closet and tapped me on the shoulder to let me know it may be time to conquer a new (and specific) challenge – something I've been more than happy to keep locked away for five years now. I may be forced to grow and it won't be comfortable at first. I may even procrastinate a bit more.

So I tossed and turned and turned and tossed.


At 1AM I got up to use the bathroom. Marvin had been in his crate sleeping in the living room and when I went back to the bedroom he followed behind me. (Mark was snug on the couch after having fallen asleep watching TV so I left him there to snooze.) Now, keep in mind dogs don't sleep on our bed. They take up too much room with the stretching and bed-hogging. It was a pact Mark and I made right from the beginning.

But last night I couldn't resist. I needed comforting. I picked Marvin up and put him next to me. He curled up like a woolly bear caterpillar, let out a deep sigh, and lulled me to sleep with his breathing.


Exactly the comfort I needed.

...

Please note the similarities:

Woolly bear caterpillar (photo courtesy of all-creatures.org)


Marvin, complete with bands of color, like the caterpillar

7 Comments:

Blogger The Ladies of Beaglebratz Manor said...

I love Marvin's coloring - don't get me wrong, I love the solid tri's like mine but I would love to have a Beagle with coloring like Marvin's. Both Beaglebratz sleep with me everynite but then it is only me and I have a full size bed. Within the past couple of weeks, the weather has gotten colder - especially at night and the bedroom is upstairs. Both of mine curl up tight together and we all snuggle down.

November 4, 2009 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger Truman Tales said...

I love how your boys can wrap around themselves so tight and snug, like a beagle bagel! I'm glad Marvin was there for you during a sleepless night. There is something very comforting about having their warm bodies close!

November 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

What a great post! We love the pictures!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

November 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger River said...

We all sleep with my mom. Beagles are what help my mom keep going--so she says! That we are a great comfort. I'm glad Marvin could help you.

love & wags,
River

November 8, 2009 at 11:14 PM  
Blogger Dughallmor Beagles said...

I swear....nuthin beats a warm Beagle cuddle!

November 9, 2009 at 2:59 AM  
Blogger Kate and Rob said...

I think the next best thing to having a beagle to cozy up to is having a picture of one to look at!

I see the resemblance between the caterpiller and Marvin but I've got to say ... I'd choose Marvin hands down!

Here's wishing you the courage to continue on your path of awakening!

November 12, 2009 at 7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But does the thickness of his coat predict the severity of the winter?
- - - - - - -
Jack@PDB
dog beds and more

February 3, 2011 at 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home