Friday, July 28, 2006

Quietly stepping into the next decade

June 20th I turned 40.

When I turned 30 I was completely unaffected by the landmark number and celebrated with a big party. Approaching my fifth decade and exiting my fourth caused some contemplation, but for the most part I enjoyed it's arrival just like I do all my birthdays. To me birthdays are special days. A day to give thanks for the life you've been blessed with.

Still being 40, I have to admit, catches me off guard every once in a while. Most people I work with now are younger than I am and they seem to know all the newest bands (bands I've never heard of). It is now recommended I go for an annual medical screening that women never look forward to. If I think about my age doubled I quickly try to think of something else. Silly things like that cross my mind. I am fortunate to be petite in stature and have a look that is, I'm told, nearly a decade younger than my actual age. So perhaps I may be 40 but it will be a little while, it seems, before I catch up to it.

My ideal way to celebrate is exactly what we did – slipping away with my little family of husband and beagle to the beauty of Door County. Relaxing time spent driving and exploring and eating and playing. Taking Diesel turned it into an experience much different than it would have been without him and it was so worth it. We planned adventures around what Diesel would enjoy so we visited beaches and parks, took boat rides, and ate all our meals outside in the lovely early summer weather. It was a dog vacation. And I look forward to many more.

On June 20th, as 9:45 P.M. approached, the three of us snuggled up on our hotel bed and opened a bottle of port I received as a birthday gift from a dear friend. We toasted the arrival of the new decade. Soon after finishing my port and taking a well-wishing phone call from my parents I fell asleep to the evening news on television.

Perfect.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home